[AccessD] Updating queries with linked tables

John W. Colby jcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Tue Apr 1 10:37:12 CST 2003

MessageSusan,

That is a nice little synopsis.

Thanks,

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

  From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Susan Harkins
  Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 11:16 AM
  To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
  Subject: Re: [AccessD] Updating queries with linked tables

  Roz, not all queries are updateable. Here are some general rules:

  A query based on a single table is updateable if:
   The query contains no aggregate functions or refers to a query that
contains an aggregate function.
   The query's Unique Values property is set to No.
   The query doesn't include a GROUP BY clause.

  A multi-table query with a one to one relationship is updateable provided
all of the above conditions are true.

  A multi-table query with a one to many relationship is updateable on both
sides as long as you don't violate referential integrity rules, and provided
the above conditions are true. Try adding the foreign key value to the
query -- did I read where you'd tried that? If that's the case, check
referential integrity -- if it's enabled, also enable the cascade updates
between the two tables.

  Keep in mind that the following aren't updateable, regardless: Crosstab,
pass-through, and UNION (that's why I asked for the clarification about the
word combine), multi-table queries based on three or more tabls in a many to
one to many relationship, Totals view.

  Hope something there helps.

  Susan H.