[AccessD] VBE

John W. Colby jcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Tue Apr 1 18:10:50 CST 2003

Susan,

I have to agree with Drew on this one.  VBA means Visual Basic for
Applications.  It is a subset (mostly) of VB.  What you are saying is that
you have no clue how to open the VBA IDE to do development in other Office
Applications.  However, once you get that IDE open and learn how to use it
(and it's supposed to be identical now between all Office Apps from 2K on),
VBA itself is the same from app to app, at least from A2K onwards.  Access
97 and backwards used it's own "kinda sorta VBA".  Now it is the real
banana.

And then, like Drew is saying, on top of VBA is SOME object model that is
native to the Office Application environment that you happen to be in -
Access, Word, Excel etc.  That object model is nothing more than a bunch of
classes that create objects specific to that application, whether it is a
paragraph in Word, a cell in Excel or a subform in Access.  Regardless of
that object model, strip that object model away, and you are left with VBA
which IS IDENTICAL from app to app.  Modules, Classes, Functions, Subs,
Collections, arrays, if/then/else, where wend, integers, strings, the Error
object - all THAT stuff is VBA.  ALL THAT stuff is identical from App to
App.

The object model is NOT VBA, it is a layer on TOP of VBA.  An integrated set
of objects that know how to be a Word document, a spreadsheet, or a database
FE.  Once you reference the word object inside of Access, you have the same
capabilities that you have inside of Word directly.  Reference that Word
object inside of Excel and you have the same set of capabilities as you had
in Access (or Word) - to manipulate DOCUMENTS.

So, you have VBA which is the same exact set of keywords and structures.
VBA is available from all of the Office applications.  Inside of each
application, you have an object model which is NATIVE to that application,
which is not part of VBA but is called from VBA.  AFAIK, these object
models, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint etc are also available to call from
VB (the REAL VB programming language).  Which further demonstrates the
interface line which separates the Office Application object model from the
VBA language.

To make this crystal clear, try PROGRAMMING the object model without the
language.  You can't!  If you dim a variable you are using VBA.  Since you
can't even set a variable to an object from the model without a DIM, you are
dead in the water without VBA (or VB).

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting