[AccessD] OT Got it: Was... Rate for first time

William Hindman wdhindman at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 2 09:11:22 CST 2003

...lots of things Virginia ...but the very FIRST thing you should do is get
a mentor from your local SCORE chapter ...Service Core Of Retired Executives
...you'll get assigned to a retired business person with experience in your
field in your state who volunteers his/her time specifically to help people
like you cut through all the red tape and avoid some of the early mistakes
that can kill you ...your local SBA office will put you in touch with them.

...everyone's experience is different but I can't tell you how many ways the
SCORE mentor I had helped me ...he had all the local contacts I didn't
...knew what needed to be done first and what could wait ...all the legal
and insurance stuff ...licenses, permits, etc. ...where to focus and what to
prioritize ...what to avoid ...how to market ...as well as how not to ...so
many things that you can read about and take courses in but just never seem
to connect until its your butt on the line ...your mentor has been there and
done it already ...not only himself but with others like you ...get the
right one and he'll be like an extra arm for your first few months
...someone you can go see or call anytime you have a question ...and the
real beauty is that if he/she doesn't know they almost certainly have ready
access to someone who does ...and they WANT to help ...and they are FREE!!!!
:)

William Hindman
"War is an ugly thing but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and
degraded state of moral and patriotic feelings which thinks that nothing is
worth war is much worse. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to
fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a
miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so
by the exertions of better men than himself."  John Stuart Mill