[AccessD] Printing in Access 2002

Liz Doering liz at symphonyinfo.com
Wed Apr 9 13:42:29 CDT 2003

Dear List,

We have a client (Bill) who sells a little application to local city
governments and comes to us about once a year for tweaks and upgrades.
Today he has spent the whole day at one of his cities, trying to get his app
to run on their WinXP/Office XP machines.  (This app was originally
developed in 97 and converted to 2000).  Everything is fine except that
reports do not run.  Hitting the Preview button causes absolutely nothing to
happen.

I was thinking that this was a problem with the app, or the conversion to
Access 2002, but I don't think so now.  I had Bill create a completely new
.mdb, create one table with four fields:  ID, Name, Address, City.  The ID
field is an autonumber PK, the rest are text.  Bill used the report wizard
to create one simple report from this table, and received the message that
"The wizard is unable to create your report".  Creating a report without the
wizard produced a little more information, a complaint about a lack of
default printer.  (I don't have the exact text of the error message, and I
can't get it, because Bill has given up for the day and gone home.)

We double-checked for a default printer, which there was, but in the hopes
of changing something, we deleted all printers and re-installed one, setting
that to the default.  The printer will act correctly as the default printer
for Word, Excel, etc.

Rebooting hasn't helped.  Nor has a re-install of Access.

Does anybody know what is going on here?

Thanks so much,

Liz Doering
Symphony Information Services
liz at symphonyinfo.com