[AccessD] OT: The Archives are cursed!

PBudge at cbsol.com PBudge at cbsol.com
Thu Apr 10 07:44:33 CDT 2003

My fingers are dully crossed.  Good luck Drew!  Glad all the PEOPLE made it
out ok too!  ;-)

Pamela G. Budge
PBudge at cbsol.com
Creative Business Solutions

                      Drew Wutka
                      <DWUTKA at marlow.com>              To:       "'AccessD at databaseadvisors.com'" <AccessD at databaseadvisors.com>
                      Sent by:                         cc:
                      accessd-bounces at databasea        Subject:  [AccessD] OT: The Archives are cursed!
                      dvisors.com

                      04/09/2003 09:25 PM
                      Please respond to accessd

Okay, follow this evidence of the curse.

I initially built and hosted the archives on my work machine.  In early
January of this year, I moved the entire archives to my home machine.  That
was on a weekend, and that Thursday (so 4 days later) my DSL provider (IP
Communications....who my ISP was leasing my DSL through) went bankrupt and
just switched off their network.  It took close to a month to get my DSL
back up and running.  When my DSL finally came back up, so I could once
again 'host' the archives, I had them online, and had even built the index
portion (just didn't have the search using that technology yet).  Two days
after getting my DSL back online (with SBC as the new DSL
provider...through
my normal ISP), my wife decided to move us to a new apartment (300 feet
away), so I had to move my phone AND DSL (however I cancelled with my ISP,
and went with SBC directly, which took close to a month to get that to go
through....go figure).  So mid March I finally had DSL again, in my new
apartment.  Two weeks ago I 'rebuilt' my website (actually it's blank, just
a new theme and menus......), and last week I began putting the index
capability into the search pages.  I announced their existence and
availability Monday night.  This morning (Wednesday around 12:30 am EST),
our apartment building caught on fire.  3 of the 4 top apartments are
completely gutted by the fire.  I am/was in the bottom apartment in the
middle of the three 'gutted' ones.  My apartment has a little fire damage,
but a LOT of smoke and water damage.

Thus, the archives are offline, once again! ARG, I swear they are cursed.
However, there is a silver lining.  The complex we were leasing with do not
have another apartment of the same size for us.  However, just down the
street there is a brand new complex (with a sprinkler system and firewalls
in and around all of the apartments...go figure...), which is offering a
similar sized apartment, for about the same price, however water and cable
are included, High speed internet is available for less then DSL (and I can
get a static IP), not too mention free membership to their Golf club
(course
and club house).  It's beautiful, and we already have a deposit down on an
apartment.  So, if all goes well, I'll have the archives up again in a week
or so, otherwise I've been given 'permission' to move them back to work
here, until I get my home system up and running.

I am at work now, and have brought my home 'server' in with me (first thing
I grabbed from my apartment, when a fireperson let me go in real
quick)......<grin>.  Everyone wish me luck, because in an hour or so, I am
going to bravely clean up the box, and see if it turns on! <Keep your
fingers crossed!>

Drew  (Who is currently chain smoking and taking several Tylenol every four
hours.....)