[AccessD] well argued alternate views & politics

Kathryn Bassett kathryn at bassett.net
Thu Apr 10 19:13:57 CDT 2003

LOL! Kath, politics is the total reason this OT list got started. It happened during the infamous hanging chad time. The OT was equal to, or more, than AccessD, so we started this list.

We've had some heated discussions on OT, with vastly differing viewpoints. William really loves to stir things up, but we are all family enough to not get *seriously* upset. At one point, Wm found himself getting upset enough that he voluntarily unsubbed for awhile to cool down (other reasons too, but that's beside the point). The list just wasn't the same without him, and he was welcomed back with open arms. We love having the pot stirred! There was only one person whom none of us liked, and we were all glad to see him go. Wm's definition of "thumper" might give you an idea of how intractable the guy was. We have widely held view of religion and politics, the two most "taboo" subjects there can be. But we respect each other enough to argue about it without animosity. Someone new might think we hate each other, but should soon realize that's not the case.

So, bottom line, look at the arguments with that background, and make use of your delete key for the topics that upset you personally. There are plenty of threads that are more lighthearted. An periodically, when a "bad" thread has gone on for awhile, check it out, as I've seen political changed to Lexie stories (for instance), without a change of subject line.

I don't participate as much as most on the list, as I'm not as well "up" on many of the topics, and don't have a viewpoint to share. But I wouldn't dream of unsubbing.

--
Kathryn Rhinehart Bassett (Pasadena CA)
"Genealogy is my bag" "GH is my soap"
kathryn at bassett.net