[AccessD] Legal stuff

Arthur Fuller artful at rogers.com
Sun Apr 13 12:01:58 CDT 2003

If you have the Developer edition you can create ship your app with an
Access run-time, and then your customers won't need a copy of Access.
However, lots of people on this list seem to think the best way to create an
installation program is using the Wise/Sage stuff, which will run you
another grand I think. (I don't have it so can't attest to its virtues.) I
have not had problems creating installations with the standard Developer
stuff. In fact I just recently created one that has to copy a .bak file from
the CD and then run some code I wrote using SQL-DMO that performs a restore
onto an MSDE database. Everything works like a charm. The user can decide
where she wants the ADE file, where she wants the physical MSDE data file
and where she wants the MSDE database itself. We've been testing it for a
couple of weeks on various machines and it works flawlessly.

Your mileage may vary, depending on such things as your reliance on Office
automation, DLLs and so on.

If it's possible in your app, I would suggest adding code that will prevent
the app from running after X days. Then you can offer a free evaluation
download, and the folks who like it enough will buy it.

Arthur