[Accessd] FE/BE on server vs FE on workstation/BE on server?

Bob Gajewski bob at renaissancesiding.com
Mon Apr 14 09:02:11 CDT 2003

Isn't it also probable that any 'customizations' made by a user (such as
sorting or filtering on forms, etc) could be (inadvertently) saved and then
subsequent users would be defaulted to the modified settings?

Bob Gajewski

On Monday, April 14, 2003 09:42 AM, John W. Colby
[SMTP:jcolby at colbyconsulting.com] wrote:
> Also the network traffic goes up, perhaps immensely.  With a shared FE on
the server, every time a form is opened, the form and all queries for the
form, combos etc have to be loaded over the network.  Likewise with
reports.

> Using a shared FE is generally NOT considered a good idea by experienced
developers.  If a single workstation has a flaky network connection, you
can end up corrupting the FE.  If the FE corrupts, the entire set of users
goes down until it is repaired.  If each user has his own copy on the
desktop, this will not happen.

> John W. Colby
> Colby Consulting
> www.ColbyConsulting.com