[AccessD] Table Linking via the internet

John W. Colby jcolby at ColbyConsulting.com
Tue Apr 15 12:07:10 CDT 2003

Cool stuff.  I have done the drive mapping to a remote folder using vpn
before, but never considered linking to a table in a db on the other end.  I
can see how it would be a bit slow, particularly over DSL.  If you use a
vpn, there is a TON of added overhead to the data transmitted back and forth
John W. Colby
Colby Consulting

  From: accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com
[mailto:accessd-bounces at databaseadvisors.com]On Behalf Of Reuben Cummings
  Sent: Tuesday, April 15, 2003 12:56 PM
  To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
  Subject: RE: [AccessD] Table Linking via the internet

  I've done it.  I'm on DSL.  My ISP (and business partner) set up a folder
on the server.  He gave me the IP address and folder name, login and
password.

  I simply mapped a drive to it like I would any drive.  I could then link
to the BE.

  However, the performance was terrible to the point I am now investigating
replication over the DSL circuit between here and the ISP and one other
office, that is also on the same DSL service, to the ISP.

  Reuben Cummings
  Director of Software Development
  GFC, LLC
  phone: 812.523.1017