[AccessD] Oracle into Access

Gary Kjos garykjos at hotmail.com
Thu Apr 17 11:46:59 CDT 2003

Well, you would do it the same way you would in an SQL statement directly to
Oracle. If it can't be done in an SQL statement than this probably isn't
gonna work for what you need.

What I do when I do a pass through query is to fire up SQL+ and my text
editor and create the SQL in the text editor and paste it into SQL+ to
run/test it and keep tweaking until it's working. Then I go into Access and
create a new query and select SQL-Specific and then Pass-through and you
will be given a completely blank window to paste the Oracle format SQL into.

The biggest problem I had in getting it going the first time was getting the
ODBC Connection string set correctly. Then I found the wizard building for
the ODBC Connection String (the three dots elipsis thing at the right of the
field in the query properties should have clued me in - a big "duh" on my
part) and instead of taking pot shots at what I thought should be in there I
let the wizard build the connection string for me and it's worked well ever
since.

You still need to set up the ODBC data source to the Oracle database.

But, if it's not doable in an Oracle SQL statement than this isn't the thing
for what you're trying to do.

Gary Kjos
garykjos at hotmail.com