[AccessD] OT: SOAP

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Sun Apr 20 15:32:32 CDT 2003

SOAP is a specification that defines the XML format for messages, and
that's about it for the required parts of the spec. If you have a
well-formed XML fragment enclosed in a couple of SOAP elements, you have
a SOAP message.

While this is all that is required for SOAP, it may not be enough for
applications to talk to each other. If your application doesn't
understand XML, you will need to represent your program's datatypes
integers, floats, arrays, structs, and so onas XML data in the SOAP
message.
Section 5 of the SOAP standard specifies an XML notation for
representing programming language types. This where you get into various
Soap toolkits.

WSDL is a a workable metadata standardized format for SOAP to describe
XML elements in the SOAP message.

SOAP doesnt have to use HTTP for transport.

Here are some links to links that start to describe SOAP at various levels.

http://searchwebservices.techtarget.com/bestWebLinks/0,289521,sid26_tax288852,00.html

http://www.vbxml.com/soapworkshop/articles/intro/page1.asp

Sample SOAP Message Syntax sent by client

POST /examples HTTP/1.0
SOAPAction: "examplecreditcheck"

<SOAP:Envelope
xmlns:SOAP='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/'
SOAP:encodingStyle='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'
xmlns:v='http://www.topxml.com/soapworkshop/'>

<SOAP:Body>
<v:DoCreditCheck>
<ssn>123-456-7890</ssn>
</v:DoCreditCheck>
</SOAP:Body>
</SOAP:Envelope>

Sample SOAP HTTP returned with XML from SOAP listener Service on Remote
Server

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Server: Microsoft-IIS/5.0