[AccessD] OT: Shamil and St. Petersburg

Gustav Brock gustav at cactus.dk
Wed Apr 23 12:26:23 CDT 2003

Hi all

Now I'm back from St. Petersburg and what a pleasure to meet Shamil
and his friend Alexander and their outstanding hospitality.

If in doubt, St. Petersburg is one of the most beautiful cities of
Europe with unbelievable architecture and collections of art.
It still is marked by the many years wrapped in the dark zone
of Europe until 1989 but since then a huge restoration work is taking
place to regain previous glory.

Not speaking Russian, you will have some hard times now and then as
close to no information is available in other languages but this is
somewhat counterweighted by the citizens who evidently will try to
help when they note you standing trying to decrypt a Russian city or
metro map.

For beer lovers, I had some serious discussions with Shamil because he
claimed a Tuborg to be the best beer available. As I'm from the
country of Tuborg and Carlsberg, I had to fight with myself too to
convince Shamil that the local beer is superior (to my excuse: it's a
different kind of beer). It's named Hebckoe (in Russian) or Nevskoye.
It's the beer to the right here:

  http://www.vena.ru/

Believe me: don't miss this beer in case you meet it.

Now, Carlsberg is the owner of the brand Tuborg, and back home I've
found out that:

<quote>

The Vena brewery, which is partly owned by Carlsberg through the
Finnish brewery Sinebrychoff, has a long tradition of supplying
Russian quality beer. In the middle of 2000, the brewery introduced
Tuborg brewed under licence and the brand has already by now become a
popular international premium brand in Russia. The brewery's local
premium brand, Nevskoye, increased its market share, particularly in
the large cities, and considerably improved its position among the
leaders in the local premium segment.

<quote>

The circle is closed! I can peacefully drink the bottles I brought
with me home.

/gustav