[AccessD] Macros

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Fri Apr 25 01:41:53 CDT 2003

Actually, that is the core of this discussion.  Because Access Macros are
just as powerful as VBA, since they have a RunCode command.  Sure, it's
moronic to write code, and run them all 'through' macros, but it definitely
means that macros in Access can be more powerful then they appear.  So the
real difference, IMHO, is that a macro is a term used to describe a simple
user automation interface, regardless of what they look like inside.  Macros
in general are 'simplistic' to write....for a common user.  However, in
Excel and Word macros can be built completely with code, never using the
recorder, and since the macro IS VBA, they blend into VBA more fluidly then
in Access.  You still have strictly VBA capabilities in Excel and Word
(events, forms, etc.) so macros in Excel/Word do not completely embody VBA.
The blurry distinction is just 'crisper' in Access since the macro design
window is a stepped command process, versus a recorder.  Quite frankly I
think they should have a macro recorder in VBA, but I think the issue with
dealing with db data makes that a very daunting task.

Drew