[AccessD] FileSearch object

Stuart McLachlan stuart at lexacorp.com.pg
Sun Apr 27 17:26:40 CDT 2003

On 27 Apr 2003 at 18:13, Susan Harkins wrote:

> I think you're using the shared object regardless Charlotte -- I'm
> just curious why anyone would automate the file search process,
> period. :)

To automate allocation of files to records? Thanks for the idea :-)

I hadn't though of doing it before, but I can see a use for it and
will be implementing it in an application for one of my clients.

We recently had a discussion about including photos in reports. I
currently use a "Browse" button and an OpenFileDialog  to let users
pick the name of the photo to display for a particular record.

At times,  it is necessary to allocate photos to a number of
exisiting records in a block. As an example, when we set up
photographic ballot papers for elections, the candidate details are
entered long before the photos are finally processed and so we need
to run through all the candidates in an electorate and assign their
photos late in the process.

By using the FileSearch object, I can populate a combo box with the
names of  all  the *.jpg files a directory. It then becomes a quick
and easy procedure for someone to run through a continuous form
selecting the photos to match the records.

Nice one - thanks again for the idea!

--
Lexacorp Ltd
http://www.lexacorp.com.pg