[AccessD] Retrieve path to a file

Kathryn Bassett kathryn at bassett.net
Mon Apr 28 14:11:36 CDT 2003

Stuart McLachlan [stuart at lexacorp.com.pg] just did that very thing for me. I'm not sure if this is *all* you need, but this is the event procedure code for the buttom I click. Background - I have people, and a field for the paths of existing pictures. Clicking the "get picutre" button opens the windows explorer where I can navigate to the picture, select it, and "ta-da" the pathname is now in that field. Note that originally, the line that has "D:\MyFiles\Online\muir63\photos63\" was instead:
OpenFile.lpstrInitialDir = Left$(CurrentDb.Name, InStrRev(CurrentDb.Name, "\"))

Private Sub btnbrowse_Click()

         Dim OpenFile As OPENFILENAME
         Dim lReturn As Long
         Dim sFilter As String
         OpenFile.lStructSize = Len(OpenFile)
         OpenFile.hwndOwner = Me.hWnd
         OpenFile.hInstance = 0
         sFilter = "" & Chr(0)
         OpenFile.lpstrFilter = sFilter
         OpenFile.nFilterIndex = 1
         OpenFile.lpstrFile = String(257, 0)
         OpenFile.nMaxFile = Len(OpenFile.lpstrFile) - 1
         OpenFile.lpstrFileTitle = OpenFile.lpstrFile
         OpenFile.nMaxFileTitle = OpenFile.nMaxFile
         ' Start looking in the same directory as the database
         OpenFile.lpstrInitialDir = "D:\MyFiles\Online\muir63\photos63\"
         ' Set the caption on the dialog
         OpenFile.lpstrTitle = "Select Photo"
         OpenFile.flags = 0
         lReturn = GetOpenFileName(OpenFile)
         txtPhoto = Left$(OpenFile.lpstrFile, InStr(OpenFile.lpstrFile, Chr$(0)) - 1)

I don't understand *all* the code he wrote, but I see what is happening. Glad to pass along the tip, and hope it helps.

--
Kathryn Bassett (Pasadena CA)
http://www.databaseadvisors.com