[AccessD] Form error - problem with length of column 1

Kath Pelletti sdssoftware at optusnet.com.au
Fri Aug 22 00:24:07 CDT 2003

Hi everyone - hoping for some help with a strange error that I have never run into before..

Users are entering data into a combo box bound to a field called CostID. The Combo has 3 columns - CostID, CostDescription and DefaultCost.

As usual, the width of the first column is set to 0 and it is the bound column, so that the users only see the description column, and when they make a selection I store the id.

The problem is that the description field is a text field with a 100 char limit. But as the users type into the combo control to enter a new cost, the field isn't limiting them to the 100 chars. It is as if the combo ignores the real length of the 2nd column of its row source.

The second part of the problem is that when they are entering a new cost, I have 'notinlist' code in place which opens a new form so that staff can add more details for new records. But when the form attempts to load the openargs property from the first form, it throws an error 'attempted to paste too much data..." etc.

I know I can use code to truncate the field after it has been entered, but what I want to is to limit them users back in the first place to only be able to enter 100 chars. I have played around with input masks, eg'CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC' etc for 100 chars but they look awful when displayed. The row source of the combo is as below:

The CostID field gas 3 columns and has a row source of
"SELECT TBLLUCostTypes.CostType, TBLLUCostTypes.CostDescription, TBLLUCostTypes.DefaultCost FROM TBLLUCostTypes ORDER BY TBLLUCostTypes.CostDescription;"

Any tips?

Kath Pelletti
Software Design & Solutions Pty Ltd.
Ph: 9505-6714