[AccessD] ASP - getting started

Erwin Craps Erwin.Craps at ithelps.be
Fri Aug 8 15:26:49 CDT 2003

thats a simple one.....

127.0.0.1 is by standard the way to contact your local host without
knowing the ip address (you can use IPconfig to know your address).
localhast (by name like http://localhost) only works when this is added
to the file C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\hosts. (no extension).

add
127.0.0.1       localhost
Somewhere at the bottem.

You could also add
127.0.0.1       memyselfandi
(that a joke:-)

Do not use your local ip address 192.168.1.54 for example. You may, but
if you have a DHCP server that address will change in time and your
localhost name resolution will point to another computer.
Another example, if you would add
192.168.0.12     othercomputer

and you would browse to http://othercomputer you would come on the
website of the computer having 192.168.0.12 as an ip address (and when
having IIS installed ofcourse)

Please note that you do not need to add real computer names to this
file, they are already translated by the master browser in a peer to
pear network or by Wins or DNS, if you have a real server in your
network.

Another reason why http://localhost would not work is that you use a
proxy server (internet options) and "do not use proxy for local ..." is
off.
But this is only true for port 80 activity (http), unless you also have
a Winsock Client, as for MS Proxy server or ISA server.

I hope this clears some thing out.

Erwin