[AccessD] mail merge

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Tue Aug 12 12:35:24 CDT 2003

This was a long time ago, but yes.  I had fields in the document
template that used conditional tests, like an IIF to determine which
boilerplate to display in some sections.  The test was based on a merge
field value.  So, it the state was Pennsylvania and the County was
whatever, then the language was different from the other counties for
that state.  I built standard templates that met each state's
requirements and then customized them for county, township, whatever
with conditional fields.  When I ran a mailmerge, I based the new
document on the appropriate template and passed it the field values it
needed to determine which county, or whatever, it was so the document
could morph itself.   So if we had a dozen loans to securitize in a
particular state, the legal documents accompanying each loan could be
produced in a single mail merge even though the details and language
differed between loans.  As an alternative, you could pass the
boilerplate in the mergefile in separate fields and determine which
field to use with a conditional test.

You could build yourself a wizard wizard, I suppose, to let them
customize their templates themselves.  I never went that far.  They
called me for years when they needed a language change or they had
managed to zap a template completely.

Charlotte Foust