[AccessD] Getting Desperate - Apologies for the OT message

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Wed Aug 13 21:56:27 CDT 2003

Hi Christopher:

I know what you are going through. After working for one business as their
senior developer, for nine years and then being laid off with a "Don't sit
down and we would like to talk to you in my office" notice. I had been
starting to plan retirement not a two week notice and new job.

My recommendation to you is to go back to school. There are always some
government sponsored training or advanced education program. It can do
nothing but help; keeps you focused, provides a bit of cash, gives you a
opportunity to make an objective review of your goals and adds a steadying
force while you renew your relationship with family, friends and future
potential employers. At the very least, it is another certificate or a few
more credits towards that degree in theoretical math you always wanted.

Another recommendation is to join a club or two or a church. While doing
some good community service, it will also get you some of those contacts you
will need on the road to a new career.

The toughest thing to do is to keep optimistic. Keep going after jobs, be
pleasant but keep coming back, again and again. I had one potential, who
would buy coffee for me every second Thursday and that was after saying NO
at least four times and I would have got a job there if a government office
had not picked me up first.

Keep the faith and if anything comes up I will let you know.
Jim