[AccessD] File-name length limitations for linked tables

Joshua B lists at jbsolutions.com.au
Wed Aug 20 01:33:37 CDT 2003

Hello Drew Wutka,

It's actually not that much of an issue, now that I know what is causing the problem. It was the 6 hours wasted for such a trivial bug that was causing me to pull my hair out. For all my searching, I couldnt find anything on the net that addressed the issue, and I'm interested to know how many others have come across it. The problem is easy enough to reproduce, create a BE & FE in a folder with a name of 150 characters, then try and open the table from the FE. Funny thing is, you can create a form based on the linked table, and navigate to your hearts content. Queries? No problem, create a query based on the linked table, and it returns you the data no problems, even the Linked Table Manager doesnt throw up any errors. The only thing you CANT do is open the table in datasheet or design view...

>Personally haven't run into this, but I wouldn't be surprised if the actual
>limit was 255 characters, for the entire linked table information (driver,
>etc....), which would be a normal text field.
>
>I wouldn't think it is that big of an issue though.  You can always strip a
>path down to three parts.  The machine, the share, and the file.  Or if it's
>local, and you have an exceptionally deep file struction, you could always
>substitute a drive letter for a long path.
>
>Drew

Best regards.
Joshua B
lists at jbsolutions.com.au