[AccessD] Edit Field Property via Code

Andy Lacey andy at minstersystems.co.uk
Wed Dec 3 07:03:45 CST 2003

Your faith in BEU is touching William. Unfortunately, as you'll see in my
response to Selina, extending field lengths is one of the very, very tiny
number of things that BEU doesn't do. Make the coffee....yes sir. Wash the
floor....no problem. Take the kids to school......BEU's the boy. Extend a
character field's length......sorry, no can do. :-(

The problem is that there's no way to do it with code. ALTER TABLE offers a
solution but it's not in A97. When we get round to a new version of BEU it's
on our list of things to address, but the best we're going to manage is
allowing it in A2K onwards.

And before anyone suggests creating a new field, querying all the old data
into it, deleting old field, renaming new one - yes we know, but consider
the situation where the existing field takes part in indexes and
relationships. Then consider a table which already has its maximum number of
indexes so you can't define the same indexes on the new field even if you
want to. Not so easy, and very dangerous to be playing around with someone's
data like that.

--
Andy Lacey
http://www.minstersystems.co.uk