[AccessD] Off the wall Events question...

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Wed Feb 12 22:49:00 CST 2003

With all of the posts about events recently, something just dawned on me.
Actually, it came crashing down on me.

I have been rewriting my MiniCalendar form lately.  My original works, but
is far from elegant, or even slick.  I had visualized a lot of changes I
wanted to incorporate, and just starting wacking at them all.

So far I have gotten some neat 'features', such as a rounded form, extended
dropdown capability, etc.  However, one of the new features that I had
planned on, I now know I can't do directly.  The old form accepted a form
name and control name, and would return a date to that control.  What I
wanted to use in this version was raiseevent, to fire an event on the
calling form.  Thinking in VB 6 mode, I didn't even realize this would be a
problem with Access 97, since I can do this easily in VB 6.  But with all of
the recent posts, I realized that event and raiseevent are reserved keywords
in Access 97 (VBA 5.0), but do nothing.

ARG!!!!

So, does anyone know how to accomplish the same thing in Access 97.  I will
be making a 2000 version of my calendar, so obviously I can use event and
raiseevent there, but I am developing the new version in 97 first, so I need
a work around.  I am thinking about using one of the form's current events,
and triggering it.  (Probably AfterUpdate).  I wanted my own event, but that
doesn't look possible.  I even tried hunting through the VBA .dll's, to see
if I could fudge an API or two, but no luck there.

Any thoughts?

Drew