[AccessD] Message Classe - was Off the wall Events question...

Jim DeMarco Jdemarco at hshhp.org
Thu Feb 13 07:44:00 CST 2003

Hi John,

Thanks for sharing the details of your message class.  I put together a Messenger class when I was first learning about Interfaces that I'll detail here FYI.  Your class allows an ojbect to send a message "To" another ojbect.  Mine works in a lister motif where an object that implements the interface sends a message and anyone listening for messages from that object can retrieve them and act on them.

The interface class, IMessage, contains two empty methods - SendMessage(MessageText As String) and GetMessage().  The interface is implemented by any class that wants to send or receive messages.

The Messenger class contains one public event MessageReceived(), one property, Sender, that returns the type of object sending the message, a SendMessage function that creates the message (Sender object and message text), and calls a private function ActivateListeners that raises the MessageReceived event so any object listening can determine if they want this message.

To set up a class to use the Messenger declare a module level Messenger object and implement the interface:
Private Messenger As Messenger 'need to use for its send function
Implements IMessage

In the class IMessage_SendMessage function call Messenger.SendMessage passing in the message text and a reference to the class (Me).  IMessage_GetMessage interprets the message and acts on it.  An Init function where we'll pass in a Messenger object to use to pass messages (this Messenger object uses WithEvents and is created on the calling form or module).

To use the class declare a module or global level Messenger object WithEvents and any objects that will use the Messenger:
Private WithEvents g_oMessenger As Messenger
Private oC1 As Consumer1
Private oC2 As Consumer2

Initialize the consumers to point to the Messenger (you could have more than one Messenger variable handling different types of message).
    Set g_oMessenger = New Messenger
    'initialize all objects that need to communicate to same messenger object
    'this causes them all to react to the messenger's MessageReceived event
    'in this case g_oMessenger
    Set oC1 = New Consumer1
    oC1.Init g_oMessenger
    Set oC2 = New Consumer2
    oC2.Init g_oMessenger

Now we just need to listen for the MessageReceived event:
Private Sub g_oMessenger_MessageReceived()
'notify any listeners that there is a message
'route the message to the appropriate listener
    If TypeName(g_oMessenger.Sender) = "Consumer1" Then 'any obj that needs
                                                        'consumer1 messages
            GetMessage oC2
    ElseIf TypeName(g_oMessenger.Sender) = "Consumer2" Then
        GetMessage oC1
    End If
End Sub

The GetMessage function is a wrapper for the interface class:
Private Function GetMessage(obj As IMessage)
    obj.GetMessage
End Function

There is also a SendMessage function to wrap the interface function of the consumer classes as well.

Anyway, just wanted to run an alternate method by the list.  A planned mod to this class is to use XML as the message format.

Thanks,

Jim DeMarco
Director of Product Development
HealthSource/Hudson Health Plan