[AccessD] System MDW

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Feb 16 21:31:00 CST 2003

Does anyone know how to get the path to the system mdw?

Actually let's back up.  I need to create a new encrypted, password
protected database.  One way to do that (using A2K / ADO) is to use the adox
library as follows:

    Dim cat As New ADOX.Catalog
    Dim strDataSrc As String
    strDataSrc = "c:\New.mdb"
    cat.Create "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
                "Data Source=" & strDataSrc & ";" & _
                "Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=True;"
    cat.ActiveConnection = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & _
                            "Data Source=" & strDataSrc & ";Jet OLEDB:System
database=" & _
                            "C:\Program Files\Microsoft
Office\Office\SYSTEM.MDW"
    cat.Users("Admin").ChangePassword "", "password"

As you can see the activeconnection property is looking for the path to the
mdw.  Since this is going to run on YOUR system I have no idea where this is
so... how do I find it?

Or is ther an easier way?

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting