[AccessD] Classes and Events Thanks

Bryan Carbonnell Bryan_Carbonnell at cbc.ca
Tue Feb 25 07:07:00 CST 2003

I just want to say THANK YOU for the recent discussion on classes and Events.

I still don't quite have a handle on using events in custom class modules with form controls yet, but it's slowly starting to sink in. Well, it make more sense now than it did before.

What I really need to and want to thank you for is opening my mind to custom classes with custom events. I am currently rewriting a Word export from a VB App with encapsulated the Word export in a class and I was trying to figure out how to update a control on the form with status messages. I tried passing the control to the class, but it didn't like the way I was doing it. THen all of a sudden I realised that if I rasie an event in the custom class, and let the form handle the event raised, then I can use ANY control, and not just a specific type of control to display the status. And what do you know, I got it working within a couple of minutes.

Raising and handling events is SO powerful.

Really, thanks for opening my eyes to it.

Bryan Carbonnell
bryan_carbonnell at cbc.ca