[AccessD] Cascade-delete (was: Estimating Help)

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Sun Feb 2 15:30:01 CST 2003

I haven't missed any point.  Of course you set cascade delete off for these
scenarios.

>But for the purpose of automatic clean-up of otherwise completely useless
and orphan data, I have never seen cascade-deleting fail.

I don't have orphan data.  RI makes sure of that.

And useless data is not useless when it is first put in or it wouldn't be
there.  So you turn on cascade delete for the millisecond that useful data
becomes useless, delete the (now) useless data, then turn it back on?
Hmmm... my databases don't allow you to fiddle with that stuff with users in
the database (do they?).  I definitely need to study at your feet.

>At least it's not the way I entry unknown land. And I would make a backup
as the very first step. Then no one gets angry - not even yourself when you
make a mistake.

It's not you I worry about.  You are the very knowledgeable developer who of
course would do things right.  What I worry about are those very real people
out there who don't have a clue.  It is my job to do my best to protect my
data from you (easy) and from those unknown souls that are just connecting
to data they don't own to... oops... there goes my data cause they deleted
something they weren't supposed to.  I only set cascade delete on for...
they weren't supposed to... it's not my...

Sorry... I'll continue this discussion someday soon - after I've worked my
a** off figuring out how to get my data back.

<very big grin>

We live in an ever expanding, connected world.  There is very little data
that is always useless, that nobody ever cares whether it will be deleted,
and which every user out there has permission to delete.  But believe me,
whenever I find such data, I use cascade delete to delete it!

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting