[AccessD] Standard vs. Class Module

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Mon Feb 3 18:05:01 CST 2003

MessageA module is simply a container for code, nothing more.  A module can
contain global variables, local variables, functions, subs etc.  In the end
however, it is just a container full of code.

A class module defines a class, and holds code and variables that implement
the methods and properties of that class.  A class is a template for an
object and an instance of that object (class) will be loaded when you set a
variable = to that class.  in other words.

dim lMyClass as MyClass
   set lMyClass = new MyClass

You use classes to create an object which will load into memory and do
something.

In my framework I have classes for each type of control that Access
provides.  One of my classes is for text boxes.  Whenever a text box is
opened on my forms, I load a class and pass a pointer to the text box that
just opened.  The text box class can now implement behaviors for that
specific text box that "belongs to it" (or v.v.).  For example whenever the
text box gets the focus, I can cause the background to change colors.  Or I
could compute a value based on the value it already contains * the value of
some other control.

So a class contains the code for an object.  When you dimension a variable
of type (whatever your class name is) and then set the variable, you load an
instance of the class.  You can have just one, or a hundred instances of
your class.  When my forms load, I have an instance of my text box class for
every text box on my forms.
John W. Colby
Colby Consulting