[AccessD] Report Design Advice required (A97) - Second send

Terri Jarus jarus at amerinet-gpo.com
Tue Feb 4 11:49:25 CST 2003

Does sound like you need a cross-tab query to base your report on - to ensure the correct number of columns look at Candace Tripp's website for some guidance.  She has a cross tab demo - http://www.candace-tripp.com/access_downloads.htm or check this one:  http://rogersaccesslibrary.com/TableOfContents.asp

Hope this helps.

>>> davide at dalyn.co.nz 02/04/03 11:21AM >>>
Please don't be offended at this repost but I am getting desperate for
ideas and running out of time (isn't that always the way!)

I have a report which I am not sure the simplest/best way to design and am
looking for ideas.

I have a table with the following fields:  GoalID, Year, Amount, Comments
(Because it is a temporary table created on the fly there is no primary key
field)

Each Goal has a record for each year.  If there are 5 goals and 10 years
then there would be 50 records.

The report is to have the following columns:
Year, Goal 1 Amt, Goal 1 Comment, Goal 2 Amt, Goal 2 Comment , Goal 3 Amt,
Goal 3 Comment, Goal 4 Amt, Goal 4 Comment

If there are more than 4 goals then they appear in columns in the next page:
Year, Goal 5 Amt, Goal 5 Comment, Goal 6 Amt, Goal 6 Comment etc

It is also possible that each column takes up more than 1 page.

I think I am needing a main report with the years in the left hand side and
then a multi column subreport with the actual goal records.  However, it is
likely that some of the Comment fields will take more than 1 line but not
necessarily all the comments for a particular year.  How can I work out if
I need to leave lines in the left hand column which has the years?

Perhaps some type of cross tab report so that each record is just printed
across the page?  In this case, how can I ensure that there are the correct
number of columns on the report (there could be anything from 1 to 14 goals
(or 1 to 4 pages).  My clients don't want to have the report allow for the
max number of goals and then print out blank pages.

Any suggestions?

Regards

David Emerson
DALYN Software Ltd