[AccessD] RE: [Accessed] .net

Jim Lawrence (AccessD) accessd at shaw.ca
Tue Feb 4 18:02:00 CST 2003

Hi All:

Just a comment about the way things are going.

One of the main money makers for MS is the charges related to courses and
various certifications. There are becoming more standard requirements and it
costs more to obtain and maintain these certification levels. Certification
for one path, if you take the suggested courses, acquire the suggested books
and pay for the exams, can cost up to 8 thousand dollars (CAN). Every couple
of years there is a new upgrade and a new series of training, course
material and exams. If your company is a MS partner these costs can strap
you into a treadmill of payment to MS. So it is in MS's favour to continue
upgrading and modifying their products.

With the shrinking of the tech market, employers can demand and get people
with higher and higher levels of education, training and certification. Case
in point; Check out the job opening for 'Google's' staff needs. Two years
ago they were just looking for competent web programmers and they are still
looking for competent web programmers but they must also have PHD's in
computer science.

Jim