[AccessD] .net

Michael Maddison michael.maddison at ddisolutions.com.au
Tue Feb 4 19:07:00 CST 2003

Francisco,

I'm not a Java programmer but I try and keep up with whats what.  My
understanding of the Linux port is that only some of the core
libraries are available for porting.  When you think about it it has to
be this way as many of the libraries are proprietry to the
Windows operating system and therefore useless in Linux.  So the claim
of write once run anywhere will never be made by MS.

It is my opinion that you would have to write you vb.net app
specifically for the platform, which may be OK but much of the CLR and
frameworks will be missing.

Cheers

Michael M

For that they have J# which is almost syntax for syntax the same as
Java, where as C# has some 'minor' differences...plus .net is currently
being ported to Linux from the same group who launched project Mono.
IF, .net does make it to Linux, that means that VB.net Apps only
available in windows now, would then be available for the Linux desktop,
successfully increasing the usability of such an OS ;o)

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com