[AccessD] SAP DB open source database engine

MartyConnelly martyconnelly at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 5 14:08:01 CST 2003

Well SAP DB is an offshoot of  ADABAS db code platform as of  1998
Sort of like FireBird and Borland Interbase.

See SAP history , this page used  to be at (now removed)
http://www.sapdb.org/history.htm
So using computer archeology and the "Wayback Machine"
 http://web.archive.org/web/20011130142504/http://w ww.sapdb.org/history.htm
 [archive.org]
So maybe that can give you some old reviews prior to 1998 searching on
ADABAS
or ADABAS-D

"SAP licensed Adabas D from Software AG some time ago 1997 with some
powerful rights to the source - making a code fork. Both companies then
developed the database further with different directions. Once SAP
decided to open source the renamed SAP DB (still based on the same
Adabas core). I imagine Software AG was a little pissed off and doesn't
want the info to flow around too much... there still trying to sell
Adabas D for a whole lot of money while the SAP DB is GPLd. "
For opinions  between Postgres MySQL and SAPDB
see:
http://ask.slashdot.org/askslashdot/02/07/16/1820219.shtml?tid=99

Installing SAP DB on Linux comparision with PostgresSql
http://www.robelle.com/tips/sapdb.html