[AccessD] OT: Mapped drive on VPN

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Thu Feb 6 00:47:00 CST 2003

John, I just posted a solution to your question, but I wanted to give you
another option, if you want it.  If you are running Windows 2000 or XP, go
into Windows Explorer, and click your Tools menu.  Then select Folder
Options.  The last tab is 'Offline Files'.  In this tab, you can turn on
Enable Offline Files.  With this turned on, you can right click on any
network drive, and you will get an option 'Make Available Offline'.  This
will walk you through a wizard, that will setup an 'offline' folder.  It is
going to do essentially what the batch commands I posted do, though it will
automatically detect when the drive is now longer availabe on the network.
(I have never tried this with a VPN, but I have set it up before for a LAN
drive.).

The offline folder option will allow you to 'sync' your files, however, and
this is a BIG HOWEVER, it will not sync files that Windows knows are db
files, such as .mdb and .pst.  It does this for obvious reasons.  So this
may not be a good idea, since I am sure you are working on Access .mdb's
across the VPN.  Also, you may not want to sync the entire drive you have
mapped through the VPN.  If not, the SUBST command let's you map a folder to
a drive letter when you are off the VPN, and you can create the folders and
files that you do want to have 'locally'.  You just have to manually 'sync'
them.

Drew