Atomic, then molecular - was RE: [AccessD] Missing SubQueries in MySQL

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Feb 7 15:56:01 CST 2003

I ran into something the other day that I thought I'd share.  The situation:

I get a database from an insurance company with billing information.  The
first shot at this, they sent the SSN as a long, which means that the
leading zeros had already been stripped out by the time I got it.  In order
to repair the damage, I built up a query on top of the table, with a format
function call to "format" back in the leading zeros if they were missing.

Later on, I tried to do an outer join on this "formatted" field to a string
field in my table.  ALL of the records dropped out, even though most did
exist in both tables.  IOW, once run through the format, the resulting data
did not match the real string data in my table - EVER.

Pretty strange I thought.

The programmer at the insurance company ended up formatting the data as a
string and restoring the missing zeros before I ever got the data, so I was
able to strip out the format statement, whereupon the atomic query started
working.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting