[AccessD] OT: Hubs attached to Routers

Bob Gajewski rbgajewski at adelphia.net
Fri Feb 7 17:12:00 CST 2003

John

I only have a minimal amount of technical experiences with hubs, switches
and routers, but the following is true:

On a router (and a switch), the bandwidth is processed in a parallel manner
... i.e., for a 100 mbps unit, each port operates at 100 mbps. On a hub, the
bandwidth is shared ... i.e., for a 100 mbps unit, the maximum total for all
active ports is 100 mbps; port 1 may be at 32, port 3 may be at 16, etc ...
but the sum will not exceed the hub's capability. Also, a hub is limited by
the LOWEST attached connection. If you have an 8-port hub, and 7 of those
are to 100 mbps NIC's and the 8th is to a 10 mbps NIC, the entire hub will
operate at the maximum sum of 10 mbps. I personally might argue against that
last statement, but it is what I was told by the *experts* (ex = has been,
spurt = drip under pressure). While the hub may not be actually 'reduced' to
the lowest speed, there is DEFINITELY a major drop in throughput when a
10-card is attached.

And yes, they use MAC addresses for identification and IP addresses for
unique connectivity.

Regards,

Bob Gajewski