[AccessD] OT: Selling an Access Application

Myke Myers mmmtbig at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 19 17:58:02 CST 2003

I've been selling a vertical Access application for 5 years (Spec Book
Pro, for interior design firms).

After finding that one for the firms that bought my software was giving
it to other firms, I devised a licensing plan. They buy a license for
30, 90, 180, or 360 days for each workstation. Starting 15 days before
it expires, it warns the user and asks if an email should be sent for an
update.

I get the email and email back an updated license key; then I invoice
the firm for the license key.

My software is mature so I get very few support calls. I don't charge
for bug fixes. Occasionally they corrupt the Access backend database. As
for training, I try to design my software to be so easy to use that not
much training is needed. I'm now using Glance.Net for demos, training,
and support.

Selling your application means you must wear many hats. In additional to
software development skills, you have to be competent in marketing and
selling, accounting and taxes, managing employees and subcontractors,
etc. It's not boring.

Hope this helps.

Myke
The Better Information Group