[AccessD] Import Specs

John Frederick j.frederick at att.net
Thu Feb 20 10:47:00 CST 2003

You're right.  It's not obvious. To find the specs, do the following:
1.  Open the app mdb File, Get External Data, Import -> get file select
window
2.  Choose Files of Type: txt -> get file browse window
3.  Select any text format file, OK -> get Import Text Wizard window
4.  Select Advanced in lower left -> get window on format specs
5.  Select Specs on right side of window -> get list of specs in that mdb
6.  Select spec and get window to change its name or edit the field specs.

If you use DoCmd.TransferText with fixed format for import or export, you
need a correct spec.  Last I did it, if you want comma delimited format
either in or out, you need to name an existing spec although it's not used.
The field definitions don't matter.

If you make a new mdb by importing all the objects from an old one, there is
a non-obvious checkbox that says, as I recall: Include Import Specs.