Netscape with IE - was RE: [AccessD] New look for ColbyConsulting

Francisco H Tapia my.lists at verizon.net
Thu Feb 20 13:17:00 CST 2003

John,
: On the other hand if it wasn't an exe
: (possible source of a virus) the browser would just download the damned
: thing and you wouldn't even know it was happening.

yeah that wouldn't get exploited real fast.. haven't you seen some of the
MIME exploits that have gone around?

:  I can see avoiding
: downloading something from some web site you have never heard of, but
: this is common stuff, from the maker of that common stuff.

Everyone has their priorities, I for example won't INSTALL Real Player on my
Home or Work PC because I don't want it talking over the net w/o permission,
and trying to take over my whole system...

: Now, in order to make some off the wall browser stop doing strange crap
: to the buttons, I have to spend another two hours downloading all kinds
: of browsers I will never use, only to discover it is a bug in that
: browser to begin with.  Then I get "you shouldn't use frames", "I just
: hit the back button if it needs flash", "You should design two entirely
: different sites for different resolutions", "just make everything a % of
: the width"... oh, and let's not forget the "just go design 30 different
: graphics to represent your buttons and use rollover"...
:
: HELLO OUT THERE...  IS THERE INTELLIGENT LIFE ON EARTH???

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the
people some of the time, but you CAN'T please ALL of the people ALL of the
time.  That said... if you build your site towards IE, (or the leading
browser), you'll be fine... MOST people d/l a version of flash for one or
some other reason, there are animations, presentations, and plain out ol'
database driven applets that use it.  I don't know one good reason why you
wouldn't d/l it.

-Francisco
http://rcm.netfirms.com