[AccessD] Outlook Replies strip off attachments

John W. Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Fri Feb 21 15:13:00 CST 2003

I am my email admin.  And it isn't getting out of my inbox in Outlook.  I
can see emails in the sent items folder that have attachments.  I discovered
this issue because I have Norton AV, and when an attachment goes out, a
little yellow NAV box opens with a progress bar for the scan.  I KNEW that I
had seen that progress bar take 5 seconds or more for large (2mb) files.
But I was replying to a client, trying to attach a db and didn't see that
progress bar.

Turns out that if I just send direct, I can attach, and it goes.  If I
reply, the attachment doesn't go.  It attaches, I can see the zip file at
the bottom of the email window as I am composing the message, but it is NOT
still attached when it gets to my Sent Items folder.  And of course the NAV
progress window doesn't stay open long enough to indicate a scan of a file.

I tried to send to a list member the other day and he kept telling me he
wasn't getting it.  That attachment was so small I didn't think anything of
the NAV window not staying open - it doesn't stay up long for small files.
And I KNEW I had sent attachments.

I guess I just found the reason he wasn't getting anything.

John W. Colby
Colby Consulting