[AccessD] Dir Function Oddities and WinXP

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Thu Feb 27 23:48:00 CST 2003

This is just a guess, but I think it's an OS issue.  If you look at your
favorites in Internet Explorer, you'll see NO extension, even if you have
this option turned on in your File/Folder settings.  I think this is a quirk
of the OS.  I wanted to 'open' a .url file, to read it, and to do this, I
had to copy the file to a 'temp' directory, then go into the dos prompt and
rename them there.

I had similar problems with .cnf files.  (Structure.cnf is the file that
FrontPage uses to store your websites 'navigation' structure.  It's a simple
comma delimited file, but you can't see the extension from Internet
Explorer.).

I have a feeling that it is a 'hidden' tag within NTFS.  NTFS has lots of
file 'tags'/properties that you don't have typical access to.  Take a look
at RoboCopy, (a Resource Kit utility), and you'll see that it can 'tag'
files with all sorts of extra 'markers'.  What I mean by this, is that most
'backup' utilities use the Archive flag. That is a pretty standard DOS file
flag.  However, with RoboCopy, you can set all sorts of flags on a file so
that RoboCopy can do more complex 'checking' on various files.  It's wierd,
and personally, I have never bothered to look for documentation on those
'extra' file tags.

Drew