[AccessD] OT Friday: Ice Adventure!

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Fri Feb 28 23:06:00 CST 2003

Maybe it's the weight distribution of that Caprice that makes it feel much
better on the ice.  I spent some time in Idaho...early driving years...which
definitely gets the winter roads.  In fact, the truck I had then was a
snowplow for most of it's life...however, the guy I bought it from put a
brand new engine in it, along with all sorts of other tweaks...including
putting 38" Mudders (can't remember the brand anymore) on.  Man, I loved
that truck.  It got great traction in the mud (obviously), pretty good on
road, excellent off road, and snow wasn't too bad either.  But ice and
rain...LOOK OUT! (I usually drove my roommates car in the icy weather,
because those mudders had close to 0 traction on ice.).  When I moved to
california later with that truck, that's when I learned how horrible mudders
do in wet weather (well wet with a little sprinkling of engine oil) <VBG>.

I have to admit my current 'new(er)' car has a decent traction system, Front
wheel drive, and it drive quite nicely with this weeks weather.  Though it's
a small 'mid sized' car, and the Caprice is a monster car.  So even though
both handle themselves well, I would have still have prefered driving my
Caprice...with that much more room and steel between me and the other
'drivers'.

Personally, I swore I would never live in a 'hot' state (not after 2 tours
in the Persian Gulf....inside an engine room....)  I wanted to stay in
Washington...but somehow fate kicked me to Dallas...go figure!

Drew