[AccessD] Web form data into Access97

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Thu Jan 30 10:23:00 CST 2003

Thanks, I'll look into this. Does this take data out of any Email? This
is not a form that is sent. I believe they are basically, "Hi my name is
John Doe, and I would like a travel guide sent to me at 123 Main St,
Anywhere in the world." Might be more...might be less.

I'll look at this page some more and maybe my questions will be
answered.

Thanks again!

John W Clark

>>> gustav at cactus.dk 01/30/03 11:07AM >>>
Hi John

I would leave the web site as it is.
Why not pick the e-mail when it arrives?

Either you can parse it by one of the mail parsers around (do a Google
search) or retrieve and store the mail yourself by a tool like this:

  http://www.emailcomponent.com/chilkat-mail-store.asp

This will neatly put the e-mails into a file system or database
"store".

/gustav

> About two years ago, I wrote a program for our Tourism department
that
> tracks their 800 line requests. Their operators type information
into
> this program from phone calls, messages, and their web site. They do
all
> of this manually, which makes sense for the phone calls, but it
seems
> that there should be a way to replace Email with a web form, and
have
> that information piped into the program...I'll stop short of saying
> know there is, because I have absolutely no experience w/this.

> Now, this department is being "taken over" by an "outside"
> agency...budget problems have prompted the removal of a couple of
depts.
> and they are being adopted by other sources. This is supposedly a
good
> thing for the county, so I was given as a contact to aide in the
> migration...basically just answering questions. I guess my boss has
> setup some sort of support contract w/these folks.

> Back to the actual question...I spoke to the new director of this
> agency, yesterday, and he was surprised that they enter information
from
> Email directly. He asked if there wasn't a way to pick the data out
of
> the Email and put it into the DB. I told him that, what they should
look
> into was to have a form on their website, and this data could be put
> into the DB, w/out human intervention. I did preface this by
pointing
> out that I did not know how to do this.

> Is this possible? What does it take? What does it take considering
the
> DB is already existant and wasn't programmed for this? Also, they
> currently use FrontPage for their site, which is hosted by an
outside
> provider. If it can be done, but not w/FrontPage, I just need to
tell
> them this. As it stands now, my involvement ends with a
recommendation.