[AccessD] Web form data into Access97

John Clark John.Clark at niagaracounty.com
Fri Jan 31 08:08:01 CST 2003

The DB is currently on our server, but the whole department is moving to
an "outside" agency, and they are taking the program w/them, so I have
no idea where they will be placing it. The website is currently hosted
by a hosting company (imagine that), and I imagine they will keep this,
but again, I don't really know for sure.

I spoke w/the woman who is in charge of this in that department
yesterday...she is actualy their web master...and she said that they
cannot use a webform. This is because they run this data through a query
and pass it into a program called "Mailers +", to do their mailings
(they send out travel guides, fishing guides, etc.), and apparently they
end up w/more work if they use customer typed data. The Mailers +
program will kick out an address as bad, if they type out "street",
"rural route", "road", etc.. It requires abbreviations.

She may be shading things a bit too, because her job may be in jeopardy
with this move.

They already have a form on their website (http://www.niagara-usa.com),
so I'm thinking it might not be that difficult.

I am going to step away for now. My boss doesn't seem to be too gung-ho
for me to be involved, and I'm actually swamped for the next few months.
I'm going to call the guy today, and tell him that it may be possible to
do, but there are issues that may prevent this. He will have to work
more closely with the woman I spoke with...he has been told this by
three different people, including myself, and he seems to be avoiding
her.

I thank everyone for their input though...as usual it was very helpful.
I actually want to get into a project like this at some point, to gain
the experience.

Thanks again!

John W Clark

>>> DWUTKA at marlow.com 01/30/03 02:56PM >>>
Where is your database?  Is it on the hosting company's webserver, or
is it
local to you?  If it is local to you, that may be interesting, because
you'd
be pushing data back to your network.  Not impossible, just a pain to
setup.

If the database is on the webserver itself, it's a snap, using ASP (if
your
Hosting company provides ASP capability).

Drew