[AccessD] Email spam risk <rant>

Charlotte Foust cfoust at infostatsystems.com
Fri Jan 31 16:29:01 CST 2003

Isn't this a hoax?

Charlotte Foust

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Mackin [mailto:chris at denverdb.com]
Sent: Friday, January 31, 2003 11:50 AM
To: accessd at databaseadvisors.com
Subject: RE: [AccessD] Email spam risk <rant>

Since we're talking spam.......

Sick Of Spam? Donate It To Science
SpamArchive.org Wants To Build Database Of Junk E-Mail Messages Kim Ngan
Nguyen, Staff Writer

POSTED: 9:11 p.m. MST January 29, 2003
UPDATED: 11:01 a.m. MST January 30, 2003

DENVER -- Do you hate all that spam that clutters your inbox? Well, you
can donate it to a good cause. Believe it or not there is a company out
there that wants your spam -- all of it.

The security company has set up SpamArchive.org and they're compiling a
database of every type of junk message so that programmers can test out
new anti-spam tools.

The reason is: spammers are tricky. They are always changing techniques
so even though you've set up an e-mail filter one day, the next day you
get more unsolicited e-mail that has found a way around the filter.

People working on learning spammers' techniques need a huge database of
junk email so that they can test out programs that identify spam and
remove it without getting rid of legitimate e-mail (which is one reason
why some people don't even set up e-mail filters).

So basically, what the site SpamArchive.org wants you to do is instead
of just deleting your spam, forward it to them (as an attachment) and
they will scrub out your e-mail address and keep that spam for testing
purposes.

And this database can't come any sooner for a lot of us. A recent survey
showed that spam now accounts for 40 percent of all e-mail. It was just
less than 10 percent last year.

Chris Mackin
Denver Database Consulting, LLC
www.denverdb.com