[AccessD] TS & Access

Henry Simpson hsimpson88 at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 11 12:45:45 CDT 2003

After 2 years of smooth sailing with Access 97 on a Terminal Server, I
recently ran into some problems relating to performance and actually locking
out users with mysterious lock ups.  I had some Word automation problem I
mentioned on list a couple weeks ago that resulted in locking out all log
ins even after every person logged out and disconnected.  The Terminal
server could not be connected to by anyone and in fact required a hard
reboot.  Not even task manager via an system admin was able to shut the
server down.

It turns out that they had some kind of RDP connection issue that could not
be fixed.  They recently switched to new NeoWare terminals running WinCE
replacing our previous WinCE terminals and users were complaining bitterly
about screen updating performance, mouse/screen lag and keyboard/screen lag
once the new terminals were installed.  The RDP connection issue had some
software patches but it was discovered that launching Access in and of
itself and doing something as simple as creating a blank database instantly
caused the terminal screen updating to enter slow motion mode.  As an
example, on a fresh login, opening Word or Excel and clicking on the down
scroll button for 10 seconds and releasing it, the page would scroll
smoothly and quickly and promptly stop scrolling the moment the scroll
button was released.  Launch Access 97 and open a completely empty database
with no user defined objects of any kind and then try scrolling in Word or
Excel.  The screen scrolls at a fraction of the speed, but what's worse,
after 10 seconds holding down on the scroll button, the screen continues
scrolling for another 25 seconds and is unresponsive to any input, keyboard
or mouse.  Exit Access and the screen updating remains just as slow.  Speed
is not restored until a user logs off and then reconnects.

Curiously, the old terminals never had this problem.  I enquired about
return to the old ThinStar terminals and was informed today that the old
terminals were retired and that if their software were upgraded, they too
would perform poorly.  If that is true, that is the end of Access 97 at
these offices.  My application was identified as the source of the problem
and this was solely my problem and no concern of IS personnel.

Screen performance continues to be good on workstations connected as
terminal server clients, but there are not few and far between.  If we
replaced these fancy new NeoWare terminals with used 486 computers running
Win95 that cost a fraction of the new terminals cost, performance would be
many times better yet it looks like this will not be an option.  I now have
to determine whether I will be able to deploy a VB application as a
replacement and whether the same screen updating performance issue arises
upon opening a connection to an Access table.  Next week all I can do is
test some DAO code in Excel.  Could Microsoft have reconfigured CE, a pretty
standard thin client OS, such that Access 97 is no longer viable?  It's just
pathetic that a $100.00 used Win95 box can run circles around these new
$800.00 terminals.

Hen