[AccessD] Difference between Access 2000(2K) and Access 2000(XP)

Keith L. Kovala klk at ksu.edu
Wed Jul 16 14:58:19 CDT 2003

I recently found this difference in how the combo box control handles
searches.

In AccessXP, when using the default search routine for access in a combo
box, the search works on the displayed information.  However in Access2K,
the search in a combobox is limited to the value of the bound column.

For example, a list of names with the bound column being the PKey for those
names in the table.  In AccessXP, while in the combobox click on the
binoculars to search and type in a name.  If the name exists AccessXP
displays that record.  However in Access2K, try performing the same
operation will always result in the record not being found.  Why?!  Access2K
is searching on the bound column, which is a number, not the name, which is
being displayed in the combobox.

Now, doesn't that seem like a huge change to make to the internal workings
of a control without any warning.  BTW I tested this on a machine that has
both Access2k and AccessXP installed, so it is not combobox itself.

Just thought I'd share this little bit of information.

Keith L. Kovala
klk at ksu.edu