[AccessD] How do I answer this?

Christopher Hawkins clh at christopherhawkins.com
Thu Jul 3 18:05:03 CDT 2003

Send back an eMail that reads:

"I bought a book on anatomy.  It looks simple enough.  Why don't I
remove your appendix?" or "I just bought a book on accounting.  It
looks simple enough.  Why don't I do your books?"

The idea of having your learning curve paid for is great, but
experience tells me that in practice it rearely works out that way.
A few red flags come to mind here:

1) Your client is not a developer.  He doesn't have the necessary
knowledge to decide if what he proposes is simple or not.  Just
because he *thinks* he understands what he's reading does not mean he
*really* understands it.
2) If he thinks it is simple, he is going to have unrealistic
expectations of you.  After all, if it's so simple that a layman can
understand a book about it, you as a developer should just be able to
whip right through it, right?
3) Why is your client deciding he needs a web-based application?
Your client should be relying on the analysis of a technical person
to tell him if he needs a web app, a desktop app, or no app at all.

It's funny.  Everyone who reads a book one time think they understand
what it takes to develop software.  I know the barriers to entry in
our field are relatively low, but they aren't THAT low.  I've had
some interesting conversations with clients who thought that reading
MS Access Step-By-Step entitled them to challenge me on technical
matters.

If you want to take the risks associated with working for a client
who *thinks* he understands how to do your job...go ahead.  He might
be a lot more saavy than I think, but...just use your best judgement.

I'd run screaming in the other direction.  Not once have I ever heard
anything good come from working with a client who said "I read a book
on it, and it looks simple..."

This is just MTCW, of course.  I could be wrong.

-Christopher-