[AccessD] Inventory Database

Sad Der accessd666 at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 7 01:24:12 CDT 2003

Hi,

last 2 years i've been busy using Oracle Applications
for Xerox...can't get any more inventory-like I guess.

What it comes down to is business rules. How does
you're boss (read: the customer) wants it?

--- Arthur Fuller <artful at rogers.com> wrote:
> In the spirit of promoting a good discussion, let me
> ask:
>
> How do you carry your on-hand, on-order &c. counts?
> Suppose customer X wants 20 of item Y and there are
> only 10 in stock with 30
> on order, due to arrive next week. How do you handle
> that? Split it into two
> line items each with a delivery date? Split the
> order into two? Neither?

You could also do a combination! Depends on the
customer, customer location and order amount. eg is it
my most important customer, to what location
(country/province) do we have to ship, etc.?

> Have you dealt with situations in which X vendors
> supply the same item? If
> so, given insufficient inventory how do you decide
> which vendor to order
> from? What if their prices are different?
> Do you make any attempt to factor in the cost of
> shelf-life (i.e. on-hand
> inventory unsold for say 30 days)?
>
> Arthur

I suggest looking through some oracle documentation
(scan the documents so you know the basics!) You could
look at cramsession.com and search for Oracle and for
Order Fullfillment. This explains how Oracle handles
Order fullfillment.

Hope this helps.