[AccessD] OT: WinXP Personal

John Colby jcolby at colbyconsulting.com
Tue Jul 8 19:46:36 CDT 2003

Take Win2K Professional, strip out 1/2 the functionality, add "pretty"
graphics, move everything around to a different position so it annoys the
hell out of previous windows users and looks different, and call it XP Home.

I run Win2K Pro on my desktops, and Win2K Server on my server.  I bought a
Toshiba laptop with Win98 in Ireland (thanks Mark Breen) and IMMEDIATELY
fdisked and installed Win2K Pro.  This was November 1997.

Where you get this "most stable version yet I cannot guess.  And what, pray
tell, is this "amazing functionality"?  Win2K is ROCK SOLID.  The only time
I reboot is when I download bug fixes that require reboots.

I didn't pay for the "extra features" with Win2K Pro.  M$ stripped a huge
amount of functionality out when they created "Home".  You end up with the
Win98 of the XP line - "sucky software for the ignorant".  If that is what
you want, by all means buy it.

Or just continue using Win2K?

And I did NOT buy XP Home (and never will, thank you), and am not now
complaining that I can't develop web pages on it.  I am simply pointing out
YET ANOTHER piece of missing functionality, in case some misguided person
should be contemplating their navel and trying to decide whether to buy XP
Home.  DON'T DO IT!  JUST SAY NO!  ETC.  ETC.

John W. Colby
www.colbyconsulting.com