[AccessD] OT: WinXP Personal

Drew Wutka DWUTKA at marlow.com
Wed Jul 9 10:54:16 CDT 2003

Actually, there was a Home version of Windows 2000, it was called MILLENIUM
Edition.

Also, Windows XP Pro does have a few features that are nice, but comparing
Windows 2000 to ANY of it's predecessors, including NT 4.0, and then
comparing XP to 2k is like apples and oranges.  2k was a major improvement
in almost every way.  XP is prettier, and has a few (very few) bonus
features.  The boot time on XP is nice, but quite frankly, who cares?  I
usually leave my machines on 99% of the time, so during that tiny 1%, 2k
usually boots by the time I get a glass of water anyways!

A lot of XP's 'bonus' features are also just features that were available
with relatively free software packages, such as Winzip, ZoneAlarm, etc.

I'm not saying XP Pro is bad, I'm just saying it is not very impressive
compared to it's predecessor.

Also, for your 'example', look at Access.  You have Access, then you have
the developers addition.  Access is for everyone, including the 'Home'
Users.  The developers addition has extra features for the Experts.
However, with Windows, you have the Server Edition, then you have 2 client
versions, a normal one, and a stripped down one.  It would be like selling
an Access version that didn't have report or query capabilities.

Just my 2 cents

Drew