[AccessD] OT: WinXP Personal

Wortz, Charles CWortz at tea.state.tx.us
Thu Jul 10 07:21:59 CDT 2003

Lambert,

Up until WinXP there was no such dichotomy as home OS v. business OS.
Before WinNT 3.5 all M$ users, home and business, ran on Win 3.1, Win
3.11 Workgroup, or DOS.  WinNT 3.5 was the first 32-bit OS while the
Win9x versions continued with the 16-bit kernel from Win 3.1.

The 32-bit OSs were aimed at those of us that needed more stable OSs
than what the 16-bit OSs could offer.  Although this market is primarily
businesses, there are a lot of developers such as myself that adopted
the 32-bit OSs early on.  I got WinNT 4.0 for my home PC shortly after
it came out and have just upgraded to WinXP Pro on my home PC.

Charles Wortz
Software Development Division
Texas Education Agency
1701 N. Congress Ave